Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Winter Adventures

This past weekend my husband and I ventured out across our family farm on snowshoes. A first for both of us! It is something that I have wanted to try for a lot of my life, and finally I got a chance. We live and grew up right here in the northland of Wisconsin where there is A LOT of snow, why we haven't tried snowshoeing before I don't know. My six year-old daughter has even tried snowshoeing before I got the chance.

 
We love to do other outdoor activities such as snowmobiling. The winter actually provides us time to do things like this because my husband isn't as busy with work and the farm, and being so cooped up in the house all winter gets old really fast! Snowshoeing was a great way for my husband and I to connect and have a chance for some great conversation. I truly haven't had that much fun and relaxation with my husband in a while.
 
 
We ventured out into the woods on the farm where all of the rusty old machinery has been laid to rest over the years. We got to step back in time for a while, enjoy the peace and quiet of God's creation, and imagine what life was like trying to use these old pieces of machinery that seem so rudimentary in comparison to what we now have.

One thing that I really love about snowmobiling or snowshoeing is that you get to see things and places that you typically see from the road, in a different viewpoint. The trails around here usually wind across farm fields and through the back side of most farmsteads.
 
 
Most people hide their 'junk', as it tends to be called, behind the shed or in the woods along the back forty. I tend to be quite nosy or curious and like to see the old, junky stuff. The trails allow you to see a little more of that. The trails lead you to places you never knew existed. Past 100 year-old broken down farmsteads that you can't see from the road, even occasional cemeteries from Civil War times I have discovered this way. And I find this fascinating!
 
Snowmobiling, snowshoeing or just adventuring out just gives me a different point of view to the place that I call home.

What do your adventures look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment